Thursday, 12 December 2013

Toy Trauma

Remember toys? Fluffy friends for us to play with, or educational devices that helped us make sense of the world.

They've changed.

My mum says the first thing I ever did with a new doll was undress it, but if I did that now, I think I'd be in for a few surprises...


The scariest toy I ever had was from my mum - half teddy bear, half basket of roses. I called it 'Peckinpah Ted' as it had the look of a bear with it's stomach exploding. 

I found these examples here:

Distracted.com's
20 Horrifying Toys to Traumatise Your Child

Cracked.com's
13 Most Unintentionally Disturbing Children's Toys.



What was the scariest toy you ever got?

 I should wax lyrical about the malevolent money boxes, pole-dancing starter kits, dolls which tick every box on the political incorrectness score card and all manner of gruesome 'cute' creatures dreamed up by the deranged, drug-addled minds of bitterly divorced advertising executives who don't get to see their kids often enough.


But words fail me.


However, I should point out that the Leg Death Camp featured on one of those sites is not a toy, but an artwork designed by controversial Polish artist Zbigniew Libera.



2 comments:

  1. OMG.

    But a Sixfinger is immediately going on my Christmas wish list!

    ReplyDelete