Monday, 16 December 2013

Great Gifts for Writers

If you're still looking for the perfect gift for the writer in your life, here are a few ideas. I'm not sponsored by any of these places (although if you click on any of my Amazon links I get pennies), I just trawled the net so you don't have to.

1. I'll start as always, with my favourite - the USB Humping Toy Dog . Because you can't overestimate the importance of backing up. What? It doesn't back up, it just humps? Who knows?

2. For something classier (and for someone who wants to look properly literary without letting on you're not sullying themselves with actual paper books) this classic book cover for your Kindle is £25 from Not on the High Street.

For under a fiver, this neat Writer's Block: Ideas to Jump-start Your Imagination gives daily prompts to get the creative juices flowing (ooh er missus - it makes such a mess of the cushions).



Careful with sensitivities here - the Literary Gift Company has pages of items made from 'pre-loved' books. If your favourite writer is struggling to finish their masterpiece, now might not be the best moment to suggest it may one day be turned into a handbag, some very expensive ear-rings or - the horror! - confetti!  

They also sell pen nib cufflinks for £12, although I know writers who don't own a sirt. You might be better off buying them food.

If you go in search of gifts for writers there are always a ridiculous number of mugs, witty posters and quote-woven cushions. As if budding writers spent most of their time lounging about drinking hot beverages and staring at the walls.

Ahem.
Talking of which, Cafe Press have some great amusing writerly gifts - including  this frighteningly accurate bumper sticker (£3.50) and mug (£10.50).


...and of course, there's always the Writers' & Artists' Yearbook 2014 which all writers say they want, but few actually open. They could, of course, always borrow one from their local library. The same cannot be said of mugs.

From a shameless mug to a shameless plug. As this is the season of Silent Night, what better time than to buy a copy of my poetry collection? The Silence Museum is both thought-provoking and funny... and you could tell the lucky recipient: 'I know her. Well, I read her blog. Occasionally.'

9 comments:

  1. Ah, there was a time when my copies of Writers' & Artists' Yearbook would be falling apart as the year closed. You're right, these days most writers have it on a shelf, and that's very likely where it remains, for the duration.

    Some interesting ideas in your list, though. Hmm, food for thought...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like a talisman, a badge of office. I have had new ones fairly regularly over the last many years, but this year I used it in earnest looking for agents to reject me!

      Delete
  2. So that’s what I’m in - a creative trance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. None of my friends are writers, so maybe I'll have to buy them all for myself. What a shame.

    I'll check out your book now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could drop some big hints!

      Talking of which... I have a short story collection on Amazon too!

      Delete
  4. I've got the writer's block one already. It's good for inspiration. And for holding papers down if you're sitting by a draughty window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be the draughty window you are gazing through in a creative trance, then?

      Delete
  5. Greetings! I bought one of those humping dogs for a friend last Christmas. I made the same mistake as you - thinking it would be a USB memory stick. It isn't. It just humps.

    ReplyDelete